PDA

View Full Version : Replacement infotainment System?

spida_singh
12-12-09, 07:57 PM
Just seen this on ebay...

Car DVD GPS for VAUXHALL/OPEL Insignia DIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180439486262&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Do we have anyone from Vauxhall/Opel to comment? Or does anyone know if this really could work here?

Also, the information the screen displays, menus, sports options etc. Where is this fed from? Would it be fed by the on board computer -> wiring loom -> infotainment system (CD500 / DVD800 etc) -> display. Or is there something specific in the units which "know" how the car is set-up?

Just want peoples thoughts. If it's just a case of taking the old one out, and fitting this....it might be worth it. It has Driver information System(DIS) inbuilt, so I am assuming we wouldnt loose any info which is accesble by the current inbuilt system.

cheers

mitch1408
12-12-09, 08:10 PM
Nice looking piece of kit! Im not going to touch mine until its out of warranty (if at all). You could email the seller and ask if it really is plug and play and what, if any, funtions you would loose. If it isnt upto what they say it is, you should be entitled to a refund?

mjinks
13-12-09, 11:40 PM
Spida_singh

I have been researching these units over the past month or so. there are a couple of variations of unit from what i have found, all of which come from china no less.

After scouring the net i found one forum with a guy looking at buying a unit for his MG ZT in the UK.

He took the plunge paying by Western union and ordered his unit and dispite my sceptisism it actually turned up! there is a huge post about this open to read on their forum (see link)

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=333136

I contacted a company hualingan @ www.dvdplayer.com.cn.

I was quoted a price of 480USD which works out to be about 300 quid delivered to your door, minus any import vat/tax xxxx.

Going direct to the manufacturer you get this unit 200 quid cheaper and they advise me unit is 100% compatible plug and play with all the connections supplied. RDS, choice of satnav software and they can even change the logo to Vaux as well as all the features and functions you could ever want.

The ZT forum says they now have paypal setup which is great, obviously i have concerns about ordering a unit i have never seen or used, but 300 quid delivered over paypal is very tempting indeed.

I dont get my car until jan so i will wait until then. but if you go for it let me know! i want one! :)

afisher
14-12-09, 06:42 AM
Apparently these models can be configured in loads of different ways so they can fit in different car models. As it says it is setup for the Vx you should be ok.

spida_singh
14-12-09, 05:04 PM
Spida_singh

I have been researching these units over the past month or so. there are a couple of variations of unit from what i have found, all of which come from china no less.

After scouring the net i found one forum with a guy looking at buying a unit for his MG ZT in the UK.

He took the plunge paying by Western union and ordered his unit and dispite my sceptisism it actually turned up! there is a huge post about this open to read on their forum (see link)

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=333136

I contacted a company hualingan @ www.dvdplayer.com.cn.

I was quoted a price of 480USD which works out to be about 300 quid delivered to your door, minus any import vat/tax xxxx.

Going direct to the manufacturer you get this unit 200 quid cheaper and they advise me unit is 100% compatible plug and play with all the connections supplied. RDS, choice of satnav software and they can even change the logo to Vaux as well as all the features and functions you could ever want.

The ZT forum says they now have paypal setup which is great, obviously i have concerns about ordering a unit i have never seen or used, but 300 quid delivered over paypal is very tempting indeed.

I dont get my car until jan so i will wait until then. but if you go for it let me know! i want one! :)

Brilliant! thanks a lot!! :D I will definatly be buying this, one question, I know the nav etc will work, but, will it still let me access my car settings for sports mode, comfort etc?

Im after a totally stock looking unit, that will provide me all stock access + everything else it will do...I will give the thread a read and research etc.

I will have to wait until next month though, its been an expensive month for me....Fuel, Insurance, GAP, Detailing. Only got the car friday, already done 400 miles in the thing :D

mjinks
14-12-09, 08:36 PM
Brilliant! thanks a lot!! :D I will definatly be buying this, one question, I know the nav etc will work, but, will it still let me access my car settings for sports mode, comfort etc?

Im after a totally stock looking unit, that will provide me all stock access + everything else it will do...I will give the thread a read and research etc.

I will have to wait until next month though, its been an expensive month for me....Fuel, Insurance, GAP, Detailing. Only got the car friday, already done 400 miles in the thing :D

Not too sure mate, i would email the manufacturer. i think the ZT lot have been speaking to the same person as me, Amy, she seems to know the score on most aspects of the product.

Good luck, keep us posted!

joemailey
14-12-09, 09:16 PM
I would love one of those units. keep me posted on how you get on please.
If you are successful I sure as hell will be buying one!

joemailey
15-12-09, 08:12 AM
Pricing for the Insignia Unit is $430USD = 264.244 GBP

joemailey
15-12-09, 02:41 PM
Update for anyone who is interested : I have o0rder on of these systems and I will post back with the progress :-)

Should have a Tracking number tomorrow to track the order.

mitch1408
15-12-09, 04:51 PM
Hope this doesnt come out the wrong way but.....

Have I missed something? What else does it offer that the DVD800 doesnt? (apart from analoge TV - the signal is soon to be swtiched off and rear view camera - not needed IMO with the rear parking sensors?)

It looks the same and personally, unless ive missed something, cant see the benefits, especially as the nav upgrade was about £1200 anyway!

mjinks
15-12-09, 05:07 PM
Update for anyone who is interested : I have o0rder on of these systems and I will post back with the progress :-)

Should have a Tracking number tomorrow to track the order.

Quality, well done mate! get some pics on here when your're done. intall pics would be great too.

out of interest what head unit do you have now? CD300?

joemailey
15-12-09, 07:26 PM
Hope this doesnt come out the wrong way but.....

Have I missed something? What else does it offer that the DVD800 doesnt? (apart from analoge TV - the signal is soon to be swtiched off and rear view camera - not needed IMO with the rear parking sensors?)

It looks the same and personally, unless ive missed something, cant see the benefits, especially as the nav upgrade was about £1200 anyway!

I don't have DVD800, So everything it offers is a benefit.
For a quarter of the price.

joemailey
15-12-09, 07:32 PM
I just have the basic unit. with the 1 line display.
But since I down a mod that require me buying the 7" display console shell. This upgrade should fit perfectly.

spida_singh
19-12-09, 01:23 PM
joemailey .... any more news with your order?

joemailey
19-12-09, 01:31 PM
Yea, It is currently sitting in Hong Kong DHL hub.
Should get it sometimes next week.
I'm hoping for Monday, but I'm pretty sure it will either be Tuesday or Wednesday before it arrives.

It is being delivered to were I work. :)

spida_singh
19-12-09, 02:26 PM
Good stuff! Keep us posted....i want to see what the UI is like on this when installed. :D

joemailey
19-12-09, 04:45 PM
Good stuff! Keep us posted....i want to see what the UI is like on this when installed. :D

I hope it is easy to install! The UI will be similar to any radios that use WinCE 5.0.
From what I could see it looks like the UI can be changed easily. So it should look pretty nice.

From what I could dig out they will hopefully ship the unit with a centre console. As it looks like there will be slots for SD card etc to fit in to the side of the screen.

I also sent them a Vauxhall Logo, see attached image.

Althou they weren't sure why I wanted Vauxhall and not opel haha :D

I'm looking forward to seeing what the actually unit looks like.
I'm assuming there will be a touch screen + another unit.
I hope the other unit doesn't look like the one below. As it won't fit behind the centre console. Well at least I don't think it will.

http://secure.adpay.com/Images/Items/3156991.Jpg

svpworld
19-12-09, 08:54 PM
I would be very interested to know how you get this programmed into your car i.e. tech 2, I assume it must be Can bus to pull in the car controls etc... certainly wouldnt be plug and play. Let us all know how you get on.

joemailey
19-12-09, 09:02 PM
It is totally separate system.
It won't need to be tech 2'd. From what I can see the only thing it will use off the current system would be the steering wheel controls + speakers + aerial + power.

Define car controls?

My car doesn't have much controls being an exclusive lol So it won't be getting tech 2'd. Plus it runs on a cut down version of windows. Wouldn't let vauxhall near it with a tech 2.

svpworld
19-12-09, 09:59 PM
I also have an exclusiv and the present infotainment system and single display also includes the vehicle menus for climate preferences, lighting, locking etc... just wondered how those would be controlled?

joemailey
19-12-09, 10:10 PM
I have no idea, there is good chance they won't be controlled.

Mine doesn't have very many features if I'm being honest I looked at the menu once when I got the car and don't think I'll be changing any settings or have a need to change any of them.

I remember in my mk5 astra if I wanted to change the head unit. I could, but if I need to change the time on the display/trip computer. I would have to put the old head unit in to do it.

I'd be very surprised if the new unit give me any options at all to change any of the car settings.

joemailey
20-12-09, 07:37 PM
Radio has Arrived at Sort Facility East Midlands - UK. so hopefully i will get it tomorrow :)

mjinks
20-12-09, 10:31 PM
Radio has Arrived at Sort Facility East Midlands - UK. so hopefully i will get it tomorrow :)

Great news! Cant wait to see this thing in action. :D

joemailey
21-12-09, 08:44 AM
Not entirely sure what the below means :)

With delivery courier
07:42
Belfast - UK

So I'm hoping it means it is with the courier and will be out for delivery :-)

joemailey
21-12-09, 11:48 AM
Radio has arrived.
Radio has been fitted.
Radio works.

First impressions, super simple and xxxxxx awesome!!
Down fall - Steering wheel controls don't work.
The dash they send with the screen, slightly different colour. But looks ok :)
If listening to music whilst using the GPS, the GPS doesn't speak :(. Althou only tried this with A2DP streaming audio from iPhone.

Video and pictures to be uploaded soon :-)

joemailey
21-12-09, 02:45 PM
You tube link for a quick video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-TjIF-lEI

Can't seem to figure out how to eject a CD!
As none of the buttons on the dash seem to work.

chris66
21-12-09, 02:57 PM
You tube link for a quick video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-TjIF-lEI

Can't seem to figure out how to eject a CD!
As none of the buttons on the dash seem to work.

This looks the dogs b***ocks mate. (-

afisher
21-12-09, 03:15 PM
Think I prefer the inbuilt one. The touch screen interface with none of the other buttons working would drive me mad. I like having the steering wheel controls.
Also while driving I think this thing may be quite dangerous as you are having to use a bit of attention to get to the section you want and with the first press not always working as evident from your video then you have to make sure what you are pressing.
Good luck with it though as it must be better than the single line model.

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 03:23 PM
looks nice, but alas it more things to go wrong.

whats is wrong with a normal stereo, and a road atlas

joemailey
21-12-09, 04:16 PM
Think I prefer the inbuilt one. The touch screen interface with none of the other buttons working would drive me mad. I like having the steering wheel controls.
Also while driving I think this thing may be quite dangerous as you are having to use a bit of attention to get to the section you want and with the first press not always working as evident from your video then you have to make sure what you are pressing.
Good luck with it though as it must be better than the single line model.

It works pretty well, Everything works on first touch once you get use to the touch screen.
You shouldn't really be playing with it whilst you are driving anyway.
Plus it has a remote. I'm sure some of the buttons on the front will start to work. Once I'm told how to operate it and set them up, well at least I hope they do.

what's is wrong with a normal stereo, and a road atlas

Road atlas doesn't tell you how to get somewhere.

So far I like it, but it is not perfect. Has few issue's to be worked out. Hopefully I can get them sorted.

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 04:28 PM

I'm afraid it does, the kids of today rely too much on technology.

chris66
21-12-09, 04:29 PM

whats is wrong with a normal stereo, and a road atlas

8 tracks are out Rob. Deal with it!

chris66
21-12-09, 04:45 PM
It works pretty well, Everything works on first touch once you get use to the touch screen.
You shouldn't really be playing with it whilst you are driving anyway.
Plus it has a remote. I'm sure some of the buttons on the front will start to work. Once I'm told how to operate it and set them up, well at least I hope they do.

So far I like it, but it is not perfect. Has few issue's to be worked out. Hopefully I can get them sorted.

Once you get the thing set up properly mate, it'll be brilliant. Listen to the old technophobe's. I much prefer a map and compass. Tosh! I like some silky voiced lady telling me where i need to be. Its either that or Leanne shouting, Why didn't you turn off. i told you when we were three yards from the turning! My DVD player in the Shogun is touchscreen and i love it. Easy as hell to use once you know where the buttons are. Look forward to seeing a few more pics of the set up.

joemailey
21-12-09, 04:53 PM
I'm afraid it does, the kids of today rely too much on technology.

Sat nav directly tells you how to get somewhere. Road atlas doesn't, you still have to read it and find your way. I can use a road atlas fine, but I don't know I like the speed of putting in post code and hitting go and just driving.
Don't need to pull of to check I made the right turn off etc etc. As the sat nav "tells me" when I've missed the turn off etc etc.

Put in post code and of you go with a sat nav.

Technology is made to make life easier. This piece of kit makes my life simpler.

Cost me £300, Once I sell my Parrot kit + my current sat nav. It will work out as £150 I spent possibly less.

Younger folks like me like gadgets. Might as well buy an MK1 astra lol
My car has power steering but why pay extra for it, the good old steering does me just fine ;)

joemailey
21-12-09, 05:14 PM
Some people just differ on what they want. I think the new system looks a lot better than the 1 line display + a lot better than what I previously had in place.

I have CD player that I never ever use. It has a radio that I will never use or if I do it won't be often.

It is mainly for show and for the hands free kit + streaming audio from my phone.
Sat Nav is something I like having and once I've been somewhere before I usually know how to get to it again.

New system does more than I need it to do.

mjinks
21-12-09, 05:40 PM
looks really good mate! Few teething issues expected i guess. PM for you

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 05:46 PM
8 tracks are out Rob. Deal with it!

are they? DOH!!!!!

Sportstourer
21-12-09, 05:46 PM
My understanding was that the DVD 800 unit was custom-made for Vauxhall-Opel by Bosch - see http://www.bosch-presse.de/TBWebDB/en-US/Presstext.cfm?CFID=447835&CFTOKEN=24143e985ac56a-7E2DFDD8-C12D-9DC1-C94DC45B5DCF8929&Search=1&id=3787

mjinks
21-12-09, 05:48 PM
are they? DOH!!!!!

And betamax :p

joemailey
21-12-09, 05:54 PM
looks really good mate! Few teething issues expected i guess. PM for you

Sent you one back.

afisher
21-12-09, 06:22 PM
They aren't custom made just custom set as far as I am aware. It is a standard unit and the settings available depend on the car they are put in. Probably some custom software options but I think the hardware is the same.

joemailey
21-12-09, 06:27 PM
Oh and I must add the unit came with no instructions!
but what I will say about it, it was xxxx easy to fit. It is a direct replacement for the current insignia ones.

I guess you wouldn't buy it if your insignia came with a DVD 800 or what every the factory fit option is.
But for an upgrade to the 1 line display for 300-350 quid.

You can't really go wrong. I just hope I can get the dam nickelback cd out, Don't think I could stand listening to them for the duration of having my insignia haha.

Bit of an overview:

Bluetooth: The mic seems to be built in to the screen. Which means when speaking to people your voice doesn't come across that clear! I'm unsure if I'm able to fit another mic.

Bluetooth streaming: It works fine.

Radio: Radio works fine, even thou I broke the lead they give me for connecting to the vauxhall aerial lead. Could be why RDS doesn't work. But I'm not sure if it is suppose to work or not, the web site says it supports RDS. The lead was a converter lead. I bent the pin on the connector that the Vaxuhall aeriel lead plugs in to and then the pin fell out, So I pushed the Vauxhall lead in anyway and the radio still works. But my be causing RDS not to work.

DVD: Not tested it yet as when I went to test it, I discovered I couldn't eject the CD I put in to test.

CD: plays fine thou, displays a buick image. I'm assuming they forgot to change that one to a vauxhall logo.

GPS: GPS works perfectly fine and is pretty quick.

When I spoke to the the Chinese Girl on MSN about the Eject button not working. She mentioned something about going to setup then steering wheel controls. Which I don't have and can not find.

svpworld
22-12-09, 04:55 AM
Did you have to fit a separate gps antenna or is it built in? Also how is the audio quality, I can see it has a graphic eq which is useful, but worried that none of the panel controls work. Seems they didnt send you a replacement panel then?

joemailey
22-12-09, 08:56 AM
Did you have to fit a separate gps antenna or is it built in? Also how is the audio quality, I can see it has a graphic eq which is useful, but worried that none of the panel controls work. Seems they didnt send you a replacement panel then?

They give you GPS antenna, that screws in to the back of the screen. I have the antenna placed behind the screen in the dash.

Sound seems fine. Sounds about the same to me if not maybe a bit better.

I'm not sure why the buttons don't work, it seems a bit a strange as if the cable is missing a bit or something or the unit is missing a bit of software.

joemailey
22-12-09, 11:15 AM
Buttons still broken, Will have to wait until tomorrow to get an answer.

The buttons on the front should be working.
I think it may have something to do with the can-bus decoder they sent me. So I'm waiting on someone to talk to the engineer and if it is the cable/can-bus adaptor. I should be getting sent a new one.

joemailey
23-12-09, 11:10 AM
Update:

I didn't plug a cable in and that's why it didn't work. Not that I didn't plug it in. More I didn't have a clue where it was meant to be plugged in to. So this morning I spent time looking at all the cables that came with the Unit. I just discovered where I was meant to plug the cable in to. It just joined to another cable, that was wrapped up in bunch of wires, so I never saw it. Not too bad considering I didn't have any instructions on how to install or use the xxxxxx thing.

All buttons work fine now including the steering wheel controls. Even the phone control works on the steering wheel. So if my phone rings I can answer it by hitting the button on the steering wheel.

That is something I couldn't even do with my parrot kit!

All the buttons on the front console work.

Radio = Radio
CD/Aux = Aux conenction
Info button = Sat Nav start up.

So I'm not happy to have a full functioning system. Will have another video uploaded some stage today.

Great system.

joemailey
23-12-09, 01:53 PM
Update:

Videos of working buttons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxlvxYYFts

Video of changing car settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDlYP608Vc

chris66
23-12-09, 04:10 PM
Update:

Videos of working buttons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxlvxYYFts

Video of changing car settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDlYP608Vc

fantastic system mate. Glad the initial problems are now ironed out. Looks brilliant!(-:cool::cool:

Rockh
23-12-09, 04:16 PM
Nice :) Good to see it fully working. :)

PRO-INSIGNIA
23-12-09, 06:09 PM
Looks amazing Joe, worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think because you took the plunge and loaded the videos on U tube now aloy of people will be ordering this system.
Well done for taking the risk in the first place!(-

joemailey
23-12-09, 06:11 PM
Was a pretty worrying risk, I'm just glad it was easy to do and it all seems to work fine.

Pictures to follow.

mjinks
23-12-09, 06:36 PM
Cheers for the PM reply and your free involvment in this thread.

Although you do realise you are now Mr china import infotainment guru for this forum!

Top bloke and good speaking to you (-

joemailey
23-12-09, 07:19 PM
Cheers for the PM reply and your free involvment in this thread.

Although you do realise you are now Mr china import infotainment guru for this forum!

Top bloke and good speaking to you (-

It's about time I became something lol Top system, I love it. Now it works!! I can fully enjoy it. Working on a small guide of how I got it fitted now. With some close ups of the interface.

joemailey
23-12-09, 08:07 PM
Long as post folks!!(-

Full info coming now with pictures and a bit of a how too.
Well first step is to remove the centre console of the Insignia.

I think I posted it already on this forum. But for now use this link to my site:
http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/insignia/removing-insignia-centre-console/

Just for good measure here is link to my picture gallery:
http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/gallery/
It will have all the pictures I'm using in this post and also show my astra mk5 which i switched for insignia(my god I miss her, she looked so nice! Bit odd I saw her parked up outside a shop on the other side of town few months a go!!)

Click on the Images to make them bigger

Number 1

Here is a picture of the screen when it first arrived:

Thing you have to note here is the centre console around it is actually brownish and not jet black. But it isn't noticable and I actually think it looks fine against the jet black.

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0060.JPG
(http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0060.JPG)

Number 2

Is the Harness that you plug the original Vauxhall cable into(the one you remove from the old radio unit)

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0062.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0062.JPG)

Number 3

The back of the new unit:
I put some numbers on it:
1-2 form the harness pictured above. The harness also connects to a Can-bus decoder. Which has a lead coming from it that then connects into one of the leads coming from the adapter where the number 3 is placed(I call it the extras cable, as it has lots of extra inputs and outputs. Audio out and aux in, rear camera input etc.). This is were I went wrong with the console buttons and steering wheel controls. I didn't see the wire coming from lead 3

Also you will see a cable at the bottom left of the unit, that is the aerial adaptor, you plug that in, then you plug in the vauxhall aerial cable in to the end of it. Oh and the black cable hanging to the right of the picture is the USB cable. It just has a standard usb port at the end for you to plug in a memory stic/usb drive or even an ipod cable(can't confirm if it works or not. But what I can say is it doesn't work with the iPhone. I just stream my music via A2DP using my iPhone)

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0063.JPG
(http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0063.JPG)

Number 4

Front of the new unit:
You will see a small white connector on the front, you plug the touch screen in to that. There is a lead that you plug in to the touch screen then you plug it in to the unit.

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0064.JPG
(http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0064.JPG)

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0066.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0066.JPG)

That's about it. Basically you plug 4 cables in to the back of the unit. 2 of the cables form the Harness + Can-bus decoder. The other is the extra's lead like audio out and aux in, rear camera and speakers etc. Then the aerial lead.

The can-bus adaptor has a wire that plugs in to another wire on the extras lead that makes the steering wheel controls + front console buttons active.

Then you plug in the screen and attach the GPS aerial to the back of the screen it just screws on, it is the gold plated connector shown below:

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0065.JPG
(http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0065.JPG)

Now for some interface pictures:

Main Interface

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0077.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0077.JPG)

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0078.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0078.JPG)

Bluetooth

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0079.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0079.JPG)

Movie Player - to play from USB stick/Memory card

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0080.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0080.JPG)

Music player - USB stick/drive/Memory card

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0081.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0081.JPG)

Setting Page - See video for car settings

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0082.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0082.JPG)

Radio interface

Note the heat settings display at the bottom, pretty cool that.

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0083.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0083.JPG)

A2DP interface - Bluetooth streaming

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0084.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0084.JPG)

Remote control lol

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0085.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0085.JPG)

DVD player

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0086.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0086.JPG)

http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/thumbs/thumbs_IMG_0087.JPG (http://www.hardwareoholic.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Insignia%20Centre%20console/IMG_0087.JPG)

Long ass post that.

Hope it shows of the unit a bit more and helps people who plan to buy it next year.

joemailey
23-12-09, 08:13 PM
(-(- Joemailey, if i may, i'll move this to the diy section?:cool:

No probs mate :-)

Atrix
26-12-09, 11:09 AM
just a small question. I m from germany and i would like to change my DVD800 to the one you have. Where have you ordered the new Unit and what do you have to change to get this unit working? Did you had some problems? As I could see it is the Buick Panel so are there no Problems by controlling the car settings?

joemailey
26-12-09, 11:19 AM
just a small question. I m from germany and i would like to change my DVD800 to the one you have. Where have you ordered the new Unit and what do you have to change to get this unit working? Did you had some problems? As I could see it is the Buick Panel so are there no Problems by controlling the car settings?

I ordered the new unit from www.dvdplayer.com.cn
I had a few issue's because I didn't plug in 1 cable.

It seems you can change the car settings using this unit. But I only had the basic model that doesn't have many car settings.

Atrix
26-12-09, 12:38 PM
but can u just plug all cables exactly like on the old unit? so you do not have to change cable plugs oso?
What was the price for the touchscreen and the unit + Navigation Software?
And where can i sell the old unit?

I would like to change my Unit :)

joemailey
26-12-09, 12:46 PM
The original cables just plug in to the new unit.
Well the new unit comes with different cables then you plug the original cables in to the connector at the end of the cables than come with the new unit.

It is all detailed in my other post.

I paid £350 pounds for everything.

I don't know where you can sell old unit.

Atrix
26-12-09, 12:54 PM
oh okay :) and what was the cable you had forgotten? :)

I will order this thing today hehe :)

Is the display included with the unit? so it is one box? Or can the old display be used as a touchscreen?

Rockh
26-12-09, 01:02 PM
Slightly confused, why would you pay to get the DVD800 and then replace it ??

As for selling the old unit, it will need divorcing from the car by Opel

Atrix
26-12-09, 01:03 PM
i would like to have the touchscreen feature and the dvd feature that i dont have on my dvd800..

joemailey
26-12-09, 05:52 PM
oh okay :) and what was the cable you had forgotten? :)

I will order this thing today hehe :)

Is the display included with the unit? so it is one box? Or can the old display be used as a touchscreen?

Was just a small cable, I didn't know where to plug it in. It is all in one box and you get the touch screen along with the plastic centre console.

i would like to have the touchscreen feature and the dvd feature that i dont have on my dvd800..

Personally I would just keep the DVD800. you aren't gaining much if you buy the other unit.

Atrix
26-12-09, 06:39 PM
but u re able to play dvds and have an extra entrance for the ps3 signal to the front so u can play ps3on the front panel :)

i have to decide.. i dont know yet.. how is the navigation software? can u change the language of the speaker into german?

joemailey
26-12-09, 06:43 PM
Not of my version you can't but if you buy it, it may come pre loaded with the german voice.

If you go to the site www.dvdplayer.com.cn and add amy to skype or msn she is the person I spoke to. To order the new unit.

Atrix
27-12-09, 11:23 PM
i already have the gps signal wire at my shark on the roof, can i connect this to the radio without using the specific cable at the display (better connectivity)? and are you able to listen to music while using navigation?

can you load your own logo on the front like vauxhall or opel?

sorry for so many questions :)

joemailey
27-12-09, 11:32 PM
i already have the gps signal wire at my shark on the roof, can i connect this to the radio without using the specific cable at the display (better connectivity)? and are you able to listen to music while using navigation?

can you load your own logo on the front like vauxhall or opel?

sorry for so many questions :)

When your order the system you can tell them what logo you want to use.
I think you will have to use there cable for GPS. GPS connectivity is fine using there cable.

Yes, you can listen to music whilst using the GPS. But the GPS sounds don't work if you do that. navigation works but it doesn't speak.

Atrix
28-12-09, 07:41 AM
last question joe,

do you have the usb and aux connector in the middle box?

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/r900x600-C-d64e9ebc-113372.jpg

if yes, can you still work with them?

joemailey
28-12-09, 08:51 AM
last question joe,

do you have the usb and aux connector in the middle box?

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/r900x600-C-d64e9ebc-113372.jpg

if yes, can you still work with them?

No, they no longer work. Well at least on my car they don't. But I have not tried it again. Since getting everything working. I will go test it now.

Edit: no they don't work.

Atrix
28-12-09, 11:22 AM
hmz.. thats xxxx :( amy said, they will work :O

joemailey
28-12-09, 11:29 AM
Well I plugged my iPod in to the 3.5mm jack and played the music. Pushed AUX on the system and nothing was playing.

svpworld
28-12-09, 12:12 PM
how can you connect an ipod to the unit? I presume there is a usb connection somewhere that you could run a cable from and add a new socket, plus A/V inputs? Looks really good, just I'd be worried about removing the dashboard myself.

Does the climate control display on the new unit reflect that of the basic single climate control on the siggy, I think you had the single line display and cd300 originally like me?

joemailey
28-12-09, 07:34 PM
how can you connect an ipod to the unit? I presume there is a usb connection somewhere that you could run a cable from and add a new socket, plus A/V inputs? Looks really good, just I'd be worried about removing the dashboard myself.

Does the climate control display on the new unit reflect that of the basic single climate control on the siggy, I think you had the single line display and cd300 originally like me?

Yep it displays everything the climate control unit displays.
It also displays outside temperature too, which I discovered today. It is beside where it says A/C:off , just above it says temp:what ever the number is, is the outside temperature.

There is a USB cable already in the back of the unit. It comes out of the unit and you can plug any usb device.cable in to it. like you would do with you computer.

mjinks
28-12-09, 09:43 PM
Yep it displays everything the climate control unit displays.
It also displays outside temperature too, which I discovered today. It is beside where it says A/C:off , just above it says temp:what ever the number is, is the outside temperature.

There is a USB cable already in the back of the unit. It comes out of the unit and you can plug any usb device.cable in to it. like you would do with you computer.

Outside temp found...nice! Do you reckon an infotainment controller could be purchased from vaux and retro fitted? might be worth looking into. But its clearly going to cost hmmmm....1 MIIIIILLION DOLLARS! :p

joemailey
29-12-09, 08:58 AM
Outside temp found...nice! Do you reckon an infotainment controller could be purchased from vaux and retro fitted? might be worth looking into. But its clearly going to cost hmmmm....1 MIIIIILLION DOLLARS! :p

That's probably doubtful as Vauxhall probably left out the cables you'd need for there system. For example the GPS antenna on the Vauxhall system is in the shark fin aerial on the roof.

Would be an interesting project to try (-

spida_singh
03-01-10, 08:55 AM
Guys..... you wouldnt by any chance know the speaker size for the front and rear door mids would you?

I know 9/10 fronts are 6.5 Inch, and rear are 5.25 Inch, just wanted to know if they actually are. (they are this size on the vectra b and c)

cheers,

joemailey
03-01-10, 11:33 AM
I have no idea :)

Rockh
03-01-10, 12:01 PM
That's probably doubtful as Vauxhall probably left out the cables you'd need for there system. For example the GPS antenna on the Vauxhall system is in the shark fin aerial on the roof.

Would be an interesting project to try (-
Sure I read somewhere that the insignia had a pretty standard wiring loom with just the different bits added at the end.

AidenL
28-03-10, 06:50 PM
Thats an interesting looking unit and a relative bargain !

joemailey
28-03-10, 06:54 PM
Thats an interesting looking unit and a relative bargain !

I just traded in my Insignia. So if you are looking a bargain you can have my unit for £200 quid.
I haven't got round to putting it on eBay yet.

AidenL
29-03-10, 09:55 PM
I just traded in my Insignia. So if you are looking a bargain you can have my unit for £200 quid.

I just bought a new Garmin so I better pass, sorry :(

knipex
06-04-10, 01:30 PM

Not reaaly interested (yet) but out of curiosity how much would you be looking for (I know someone that might be)

joemailey
06-04-10, 01:39 PM
about £150(that is including the postage too) Cost me around 300 quid in the end to get it. It ain't been used that much so. It is sitting in my room in its box, as I can't be bothered putting it on eBay yet lol

Tony123
22-08-16, 04:41 PM
Ive got one of these chinese dvd sat navs but having probs
With getting sound and storing stations anyone know
If i have to adapt any wires on the stock harness cheers by the way unit
Is for a insignia